Edmonds Auto License Agency

  • Need a Form?

    Print out a form or an application before hand and bring it into our office.Read More

  • Online Renewals

    Want to save a trip? Find out how to renew your vehicle's registration online.Read More

  • Directions

    New to the area? Find out where we are and how to get here.Read More

Emissions Information

You don't need a renewal notice to get a test, anyone can bring their vehicle to a test station. The information needed to test will be obtained from the vehicle.

A passing or waived test, completed up to 365 days before the tabs expire, will allow you to buy the tabs up to six months before the tabs expire

How do I know if I need an emissions test?

When it's time to renew your Washington license tabs, it will be indicated on your renewal notice if you need an emission test.

I just had my emissions tested in another state before bringing my vehicle to Washington. Can I use my previous test?

The Department of Licensing cannot accept emission tests from other states. Your vehicle needs to be tested by a Washington State Department of Ecology emission test station.

Emissions Checklist


  • Bring the test fee (cash, check, or credit/debit)
  • Check that your vehicle's exhaust system has no holes or obvious leaks
  • Check that your vehicle is not leaking any gasoline, oil, or coolant
  • Check that the vehicle's gas cap is present
  • Do NOT bring your pets or any passengers
  • Do not bring a trailer
  • If your vehicle's battery has been recently disconnected or discharged, drive the vehicle for a least a week before the test